Influencing Without Authority
In-person classes – 2 days / Virtual (Live online) – 4 sessions
How do we establish enough influence over key stakeholders to get our work done without any “real” authority over them? We know what needs to be done and we know how to do it, yet we can’t get our boss, our colleagues, and yes, even the people who report to us, to do “the right thing.” Some days it feels like we’re just banging our head against the wall. The result a whopping headache!
In this training on how to influence without authority, learn the skills, tips, and tricks of successful influencers!
During this workshop you will learn:
- Your personal attitude toward change.
- Key concepts associated with organizational change management.
- How to develop a measure of success.
- How to establish an effective governance structure along with decision rights.
- Practical tools to assess the organization’s readiness for change including a stakeholder analysis, impact analysis, and force field analysis.
- Strategies and practical tools for transforming the organization at three levels: Individual, Team, and Organization.
- How to effectively address resistance.
- How to establish an effective change network.
- How to customize both formal and informal communications for all stakeholders.
- How organizational design can hinder or facilitate organizational change.
- The importance of aligned reward and recognition systems.
- How to meaningfully involve employees in the process.
- How to identify and leverage thought leaders.
- The difference between education and training and the role each plays in the change process.
- How to develop an internal marketing campaign.
- How to measure the success of an organizational change plan.
Pre-requisites: No technical experience is necessary, but experience working on projects is necessary.
Skill Level: Basic
This workshop is designed to quickly provide essential influencing skills for business analysts, project managers, sponsors, business clients, and anyone who has to influence others.
PDUs/CDUs: 14 CEUs: 1.4
- Associate Certificate in Project Management
- Masters Certificate in Business Analysis
- Masters Certificate in Project Management
To help assimilate the tools and techniques learned, there is a mixture of individual and group exercises throughout the course. A lively role play and case study help reinforce concepts learned. Students need to be prepared for a high level of participation. Each participant receives a comprehensive student guide complete with examples and workshop solutions.
BONUS: Attend our Influencing Without Authority training course and get an electronic version of The Influencing Formula book for free!
Influence and Authority
- Define Influence, Persuasion, Power, and Authority
- Barriers to Effective Influence
- Forms of Power
- Key Influencers
- Influence Models
- Argyris’ Ladder of Influence
- Influence Models
- Types of Currency
- Discussion: The Role of Social Media
- Who can Empower Another Person?
- Watermark Learning’s Influencing Formula
- Introduction to Case Study
- Discussion: What is Trust?
- Influencer as Trusted Advisor
- Trust Defined
- Types of Trust
- Covey’s Four Cores of Credibility
- Trust Building Blocks
- How to Build Trust on a Virtual Team
- Trust Busters
- Restoring Trust and Healing
- Case Study Workshop
Importance of Preparation
- Advantages and Disadvantages Of Various Influencing Techniques
- Building Coalitions
- The Huddle
- Planting Seeds
- Preparing to Influence Stakeholders
- Analyzing Stakeholders
- Stakeholder Influence Matrix
- Communication Style Analysis Model
- Stakeholder Influence Grid
- Power/Influence Grid
- Influencing Stakeholders To Buy Into The Project
- Workshops and Exercises
- Barriers to Courage
- How Being Prepared Gives Us Courage
- Having the Courage to Influence Others
- Having the Courage To Handle Difficult Stakeholders
- Final Workshop
This outline is subject to change.